Wednesday, March 1, 2006

It's Winter Time in Florida...

Preview

What does that mean? Well, winter time in the rest of the country brings you pictures of snow, children sledding, trees covered with ice, the world dressed in white..... But, not down here. Here, at least the part of here that I wander thru on a daily basis, winter consists of fields and fields of... Green!

The picture above is of the same field that I took a picture of when everyone was showing pictures of fall. Then, it was a bleak field of black plastic... what a difference a couple of months make!

I live in the center of what is called 'The Strawberry Capital of the World'. And these fields are full of beautiful, red, luscious strawberries. The place I live in is even called Plant City! This weekend begins our annual Strawberry Festival. It will run for 12 days... 12 days of carnival rides, musical entertainment, and.........

Strawberry Milk shakes
Strawberry Shortcake
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Elephant Ears... with Strawberry topping
Funnel Cakes... with Strawberry topping
Fresh strawberries in a cup with whipped cream

Good thing I Love Strawberries!

Preview

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy I love strawberries too !!!  Eat plenty for me too ...sounds like fun ...Diane

Anonymous said...

Ok the fresh strawberries, picking tangerines, oranges, pink ruby grapefruit right off the trees....ok, ok Florida does have something going for it. Believe it or not even I got chilly this winter, maybe after twenty years I'm finally adapting...we'll see what happens in the summer...LOL.....Sandi

Anonymous said...

its like growing up in Southern California; all the seasons are basically the same. Enjoy the Strawberry Festival; sounds like fun

betty

Anonymous said...

Niiice! I used to live in Tampa and used to drive to Plant City for the Strawberry Festival. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Strawberry Heaven I call it!   My favorite fruit--but good ones are available only for a few weeks each year where I live further North.  Eat some for me.

Anonymous said...

You just made me so hungry. LOL!
Angela

Anonymous said...

Lucky you.  Hey, you just reminded me I have a bag of frozen strawberries in the deep freeze!  Cliff and I will have strawberries on our cereal this morning.  Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm dreaming of this scene here!  We don't have a long strawberry season here, about 3 to 4 weeks (end of June beginning of July), and that's if we don't get rain dumped on us constantly before hand.  :)

And to think it's freakin' snowing out right now!  Hmphf!

Tammy
http://LifeLiveItOrMissOut.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can smell the strawberries!  And feel the juice of a big, soft, ripe one as I bite into it.  Yum!

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh. I love me some funnel cake. Never had it with strawberry toppings but I'm not much of a fruit person.

Ari

Anonymous said...

Oh my....half my family lives in Plant City.  My daughter Cindi and I, who is homeschooled are planning a trip to go strawberry picking soon.  We'd better hurry huh?  I'm so glad you did this entry to let folks know about our agricultural phenomena here.  I just love the strawberry fields.  GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

Plant City! You're just a skip and hop away from my lovely city of Pensacola! I remember seeing Plant City on the map on our way to Orlando and Tampa. We also know people from Crystal River and Homossassa! Howdy, neighbor!

Anonymous said...

Oh, shelby would be in heaven. She wants to buy this pony she loves and name it Strawberry. She loves strawberries so much.

Anonymous said...

Yum ... great entry!
*** Coy ***


Anonymous said...

Try not to rub it in TOO much!  ;)  It's chaotic weather here in the heartland.  Cold, warm, freezing, dry, humid.  AAAUUUGGGHHH!!

XO
Russ

Anonymous said...

LOL!  You live at the opposite end of me, JJ!  I'm in sunny Southern California where our weather, pretty much matches your own!  I prefer a little bit of cold now and then.  I know it get's tough on the other states, that have to deal with those cold, blizzardy winters, but frankly, I get sick to death of sunshine ALL THE FLIPPIN' TIME! lol

Love strawberries!  We have a ton of oranges out this way, but then.. so do you at your end! lol

Hugs,
jackie

Anonymous said...

I have such fond memories of the Strawberry Festivals from my days of living there.  Such fun.  I'm sure you're having a great time.
I heart strawberries!
Judith