Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Old Man


I just love this old tree that stands in the pasture that Boo and Ten share. It is a wonderful tree full of character. I wanted to experiment with panoramas and thought this would be fun. I took three progressive pictures of this tree --left side, middle, right side-- and then pulled them into Photoshop Elements and 'stitched' them together and then cropped the finished product. I took the pictures early one morning while waiting for the horses to finish their grain before I could pass out hay, so the light is a little iffy. Otherwise I kind of like it.


For some reason big old trees have been attracting my eye lately. There are about 4 others that I've been meaning to stop and photograph. I think I've been putting it off because I want to wait till I get my new lense. It's going to be a 70-300. Not a huge zoom lense, but more than what came with the camera! I think it is going to be my Valentines Day gift from G. It was originally supposed to be a Christmas present, but things happen {shrug} While I was in pricing the new lense (which has actually come down almost $50 since I first decided it was the one I wanted), I showed G the lense I REALLY want. He just looked at the price tag and winced LOL!

I'm excited about the new lense also because it is Spring time. What does that mean?? Babies!! I've already started to notice baby calves and lambs and kids. Since I don't know the people they belong to I will be taking the pictures from the side of the road and that means I need some ZOOM! ;p

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait...What?  It's Springtime?  Nobody has bothered to tell the 20 degree temps we're getting here!!  I love old trees.  I show them respect.

Hug,
Russ

Anonymous said...

I want to just park my tush under this big ol' tree and stare up through the branches at the sky.  Great shot!  I really like it.

Tammy
http://lifeliveitormissout.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I like this picture very much.  I even like the light (and I'm a nut about what times of day I'll shoot).  It's a combination of the tree and the light I think that almost makes the tree look surreal in an Alice-In-Wonderland/Enchanted-Forest kind of way.  Well done!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this picture. It reminds you of a time long ago, before they started chopping down the wilderness. I could sit under that tree forever. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

One of the parks I went to as a kid had lots of huge old trees.  My friend and I would climb into a crook of the tree with our pillows.  We would daydream through the green lacy leaves and make our life plans.  Each time we went, we tried a different tree.  Some were oaks, pepper trees and some I can't remember.  My mom knew all the names.  I have always been fascinated by trees.  Thanks for sharing this . . . reminds me of an old monkeypod I saw while living in Hawaii.  Blessings, Penny http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere
http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/TimeforaLittlePoetry

Anonymous said...

Just saying hello friend. Tammy

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I really enjoyed visiting you. Can I invite you to drop by and visit me  at NEW & YOU whenever you have a spare minute? I’m sure you know that you will always be very welcome.
Good wishes,
John                        
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jonh8m/new--you/

Anonymous said...

Is that a live Oak?  If it is, we don't have them around here, but I've seen them in Texas and Mexico.

Anonymous said...

I love that tree, it has character and wisdom. If it could talk I'm sure it could tell some wonderful stories.  It looks like a good climbing tree also. Good to sit under and read.    You don't see a lot of trees like that any more

Love & Hugs  Diane

Anonymous said...

Absolutely amazing!  Wonderful!  Magnificent!  Fabulous!  
Need I say more?

Anonymous said...

Hi JJ!  I'm going back through J-land catching up on the alerts I saved.  This one caught my eye when you first posted it.  I love the Old Man and wish I had one right here that I could enjoy!

Springtime already?  Only in FL.  It's baby season coming up and rutting season for deer, but no spring weather yet!