Sunday, July 17, 2005

Sometimes I Forget... (Part 2)

Remember when I wrote the entry about sometimes forgetting how lucky I am?  At that time I promised that it was the first of a series of pictures from that particular day.... Then came the Fourth of July holiday, followed by 2 weeks when I managed to put in a total of 23 hours of overtime. (14 of which I did this last week!) So the idea for the entries got put on hold till I had a few minutes to sit down, compose an entry, and edit the picture. Today you get Part 2!

PreviewThis second picture is of one of the Southern White Rhino that have recently joined the ranks of animals featured in the African area. This little girl came over here from Africa to join the gene pool over here. Although the Southern White Rhino have made a comeback from the dwindling numbers of the early 20th century, it doesn't do to become complacent, and the more spread out the gene pool is, the less chance of these magnificent animals disappearing. She and her buddies are becoming wonderfully friendly. She loves her alfalfa!

Update: Someone asked me for her name... I thought I had included it in the original post, but I guess I didn't <g>. Her name is Kudoko (spelling may not be correct, but that is how it sounds like it should be spelled ;p), which means little bit in Swahili.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhhhh, What's her name?   Anne

Anonymous said...

Fabulous!  Great photograph.  Thanks for providing the link to the International Rhino Foundation, found the information on the Ceratotherium simum simum fascinating.  Looking forward to reading more.
Best,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful! Thanks for sharing her picture too. Take it easy. Too much work and no play makes one dull...

Anonymous said...

What a priviledge that must have been!  I am in awe over such a beautiful creature.  Thanks for posting these and giving us insight into what most of us would never otherwise find out.

Tammy

Anonymous said...

Wow...I love that picture.

I didn't know rhinos ate alfala? Really?

And also I didn't know about spreading out the gene pool idea...

Thank you for a wonderful entry!

Anonymous said...

Did you see the news story about Donna the Hippo who just celebrated her 54th birthday?  I learned that they usually don't live that long.  Who knew?  Instead of cake, she got a whole bunch of frozen fruit.

xo,
Russ

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so envious!  I would love to be that close to a rhino!  You are so lucky!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh.  What a cutie.  

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

she's so cute!  great photo and story

~  www.jerseygirljournal.com

Anonymous said...

how very wonderful. judi

Anonymous said...

Another interesting post and a great day to be thankful for!

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwww .....
*** Coy ***

Anonymous said...

Pretty animal.  Are rhinos nice or mean?

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I remember this entry well.  It's equally fabulous the second time around.
Best,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall