Friday, May 4, 2007

Feline Friday--Sad Edition





This was always one of my favorite D.K. pictures. I've used it for a Feline Friday post before. I have some recent shots that I would like to post, but they make me cry because you can see how much weight she had lost.

I've been trying to do a Feline Friday post every since I lost D.K., but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it. She had a lump in November that was odd. Upon being taken to visit our wonderful vet, we were told it was malignant and had already spread from the area of the lump and into her lungs. When told of my dismay at not spotting anything sooner, the Vet told us that this was a fast moving form of the disease and the lump had probably not been there in a size we could feel for more than a couple of weeks.We were told we couldn't do much as far as treatment except spoil her, treat any symptoms as they appeared, and enjoy her for the time we had left.  When I asked when, the Vet said we would know when it was time. After telling me that, she would receive several more visits from D.K. and I because if she even sneezed or wheezed I had an appointment and would start  my conversation with "It's probably nothing... But..." She made it 6 more months.

Although she lost a lot of weight during those 6 months, she continued to eat and move about the house somewhat normally, although a little slower than before. But, then she was 12 years old!  She remained bright and happy. And, surprisingly she gave us absolutely no problem taking the medicine each day that she needed. Sometimes it was one pill, sometimes two.... She seemed to know that it helped her! After having been given dry kibble for her entire life I started feeding her soft foods in any variety I thought she would like and we bought her favorite treats in quantity. I figured any food going in was good and was no longer worried about calories or her getting too heavy. Even with unlimited access to food she would go from a robust 12 pounds down to 6 before the end.

Finally on April 14 she showed no appetite for the first time... And on the 15th she stopped drinking. She quickly started to dehydrate, and I could tell she was ready to go. Her eyes no longer bright, she wanted to just stay in her favorite spot and sleep.

Early evening they gave her the shot and she peaceful fell asleep in my arms......

She was a wonderful friend who kept  me laughing and entertained for 12 years. She came to me at only 5 weeks old... a stray kitty who didn't even know how to eat solid food good yet. She would accompany me when I went on the road with the circus and traveled by train all over the country and even to Mexico! When G and I got together she slowly gave her approval and then finally started to prefer his lap to mine. (Something about his sharing of ice cream and other treats maybe??) She will be greatly missed by both of us AND her little 'sister' Morgan.

Rest in Peace

D.K.

1995 to April 15, 2007


 



15 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhhnoooo.. I'm sorry about DK.  We had to have one put down about a month ago also (Frickey) he too was wasting away from a cancer...  I sometimes think it hits us harder to loose an animal then a human.. only because they can't tell us how they feel when they are sick and such.

Sorry you lost DK... and I know it was hard to post this.  

Anonymous said...

Oh JJ.  I feel your sadness and wish there were anything to say to you other than, 'remember her and all the fun she brought to your life.'  You know you will miss her and you know you will honor her memory ... but it stinks right now.  Thinking of you and offering good thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes I'm in tears. I love my cats. DK looks exactly like my Socrates. This was a wonderful, beautiful tribute to DK. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

So so sorry about your friend....great pics though.

hugs,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful entry - thank you so much for sharing

Anonymous said...

I am glad you can talk about D.K.  What a wonderful friend she was. Although I have a dog, I love cats too. I actually like all animals, but I don't seem to be able to bond with reptiles.......they spook me too much.  You were both blessed to have each other.  I sure hope we get to met up with them in heaven, or I'm NOT goin'   Feel better Astaryth!   Anne

Anonymous said...

DK looked like my very first cat named JB (jim Beam) Daddy named him of course...this was a beautiful tribute to a wonderful feline friend...I am so very sorry for your heartbreak, but I know you are like me, the heartbreak hard as it is, is worth all the years of pure love and pure joy that only a pet can give us.

XOXOX
K.

Anonymous said...

A perfect tribute to loving companion!  A handsome feline friend!

(hug)
Russ

Anonymous said...

It's rough to give them up, isn't it?  I love that closeup picture of her.  She's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What a beauty of a kitty...my prayers to you and the family...many hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Farewell D.K. She really knew how to relax in a photo. Great cat, always made me smile to see her so relaxed.

Anonymous said...

R.I.P. kitten face!

Anonymous said...

Our pets  getting old or the onset of illness is traumatic as I have been through both.    I visited my last dog when he had liver cancer at the Veterinarian's each day.    He was brought to me as a stray hunting dog that was about 4 years old and lived another 4 years.    My former father and son dogs lived to old age.     I now have Salty, a blond/tan Labrador stray that was one yr. old when I got him and is now about 4 years old.     He was healthy but lean and I feed him the best food and had him neutured, etc.     I hope he lives a long life.     They are a big part of our lives and become a measurement of it.     I think D.K. could not have had a better life and will be in your memory as a lost loved pet forever.    mark

Anonymous said...

ohh...we love our pets so much and they are here for such a short time....they take a piece of our hearts when they go....
Hi! I think I have read your journal before , the name is familiar. I was offlne due to a lightning strike for awhile and I'm  now getting all my alerts started up again. I'll be coming to visit.
Marti
http://journals.aol.com/sunnyside46/MidlifeMusings

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo of your memorable cat.  Very strking.  I always like to hear about people being human when their pet gets sick.  Gerry
http://journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-of-the-shadow-men/