Sunday, May 8, 2005

A Visit to the Aquarium

A couple of weeks ago, early on a Saturday morning, I received a phone call.... It was my brother. Seems my nephew, who is in the Navy, had come home on a weekend pass and brought along his girlfriend and a fellow sailor.

"Hey, Sis.... You still a member of the Aquarium?"

Me, wiping sleep out of my eyes, "Uh... huh.. Yeah... What TIME is it???"

"Geez, it must be at least 7:30 am"

Sighing and continuing to fumble around trying to get at least semi-awake.. "Yeah... Aquarium.. What?"

"Well, the kids are looking for something to do today, and I thought maybe we would come and get you guys and go to the Aquarium...."

Pulling myself together, I assured him that any opportunity to spend some time with my nephew (and the rest of the family, of course) was always welcome, and within a few minutes we had solidified  some plans.

That is how I came to spend most of the day at the Florida Aquarium with my brother, my nephew, my nephew's girlfriend, my niece, G., and the friend my nephew brought home with him. After finishing at the aquarium we went out to eat. All in all, a very nice day!

It's a really nice aquarium, and despite taking pictures thru glass, I managed to get a few nice ones. So, I decided to share some of them here with you! I would love to share the ones of my family and their guests, but I haven't asked permission to broadcast their faces over the internet<g>... Oh, and I've been working on my 'presentation' and I'm finding a lot of cool effects and tools in my Photoshop Elements.. Now if I can just remember how I did them.... <LOL> If you would like to see some professionally done pictures, click here to see some of the photos on the Florida Aquarium website.

 

Preview

My Banner above is actually part of the sign out front of the aquarium. It has this huge Manta Ray over it and we all stood under it to get our picture taken... Unfortunately, the picture I took of it without people, I got the angle wrong and a tree was blocking part of it... So, I improvised ;)

 

PreviewThis picture is of a very co-operative turtle, and the other one of an equally co-operative lizard!Preview

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PreviewThis picture was taken thru glass (and of course, since the pictures  are all of animals, no flash!). Not too bad...

 

 

 

 

 

 

And finally, on our way out I saw this fountain and had to have a picture...Preview

 

 

 

 

 

 

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

why is the turtles nails so long?

Anonymous said...

These are absolutely wonderful photographs.  Sounds like ya'll had a great time.  Anne

Anonymous said...

Very nice pictures...and a nice visit with family.  Thanks for sharing them with us.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You had it all: family, critters and eats! What else could one ask for?

Anonymous said...

I love aquariums!  And promise not to hit me if I say out loud I even love Sea World!

Anonymous said...

Oooo, I love these pictures!  Animals are so great!  The turtle is adorable!
Glad you had a good time!
Tammy

Anonymous said...

The aquarium should ask you to do a brochure! Those are great!
Sounds like a fun day too. I lvoe aquariums!

Anonymous said...

I love aquariums! Well, except for the part where I bonk my head on the glass trying to get a closer look. Happens every time. ;)

Ari

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures...it just seems like yesterday when they were building the Aquarium....wonderful place...teaches the real world to kids...Sandi
PS...Golden dragon? that was cute...

Anonymous said...

the pics are spectacular! I LOL'd a little over the timing of your brother's call.....my brothers both are/were notorious for having no sense of the time they are calling. Oh well. Have a great day!
Laura

Anonymous said...

sounds like a wonderful time, pics are great!

Anonymous said...

Yes, you did get some good PICS through the glass.  Well done and thanks for sharing them with us.
Sam

Anonymous said...

You have a gift!

We live within a few blocks of the Newport Aquarium. We go there a few times a month. It is a great place to spend an afternoon, and after a while you get to know the personalities of some of the creatures.

I wish I could figure out how to put pictures in the body of my journal like you do!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the pictures are great! REALLY great! Thanks for sharing them...it sounds like you had a great time, even though you were woken up so early (7:30 a.m? on Saturday? but you do have to take advantage of that weekend pass...)

Anonymous said...

The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago is pretty awesome.  Have you been there?  I once went to the Omaha zoo and saw a tank full of delicate transluscent jellyfish under a blacklight.  I think it was probably the most beautiful sight of my entire life.  I could have watched those guys forever!   Russ

Anonymous said...

Wow!   Wha stupendous photography!

Anonymous said...

I love this aquarium and used to spend a lot of time there with my kids...... now I work at The National Zoo with one of the guys who helped to design it. Thanks for sharing!!! judi

Anonymous said...

Hey your pictures look pretty good for a nonprofessional! Sounds like a really fun day, even if it woke you up
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

OMG I LOVE that turtle.  But I'm a turtle lover.  Look at him!  He looks like he's reluctantly allowing you to capture him in his cuteness!  Awwww.

I want to go there...

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

The closest aquarium is way up in Denver, and its like $15 a piece to get in.  Needless to say we haven't been there yet.  We did get to go to Sea Life Park in Hawaii 2 years ago, and it was just as awesome as I remember it.
Great pictures!  No flash?  They came out fabulous.  My son took a picture of our killer goldfish and about blinded him with the flash, poor thing.  He recovered after a couple of hours, but kind of swam blindly and lopsided there for a while.

Anonymous said...

I love visiting aquariums.  Haven't been in several years but Baltimore also has a great one.  Glad you got to spend time with your relatives! :)

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. I was surprised to run into this entry. My husband and I have been talking about taking the kids to visit this aquarium. We are in Miami so we were planning to spend a few days there. Thanks for the pictures. *Louise*

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day.
Love the Pictures!
*** Coy ***


Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE aquariums...I feel so at home when I'm wandering around inside them...there's just something so peaceful about fish to me...

Anonymous said...

Love the nature shots!

Gabreael
http://journals.aol.com/gabreaelinfo/GabreaelsBodyMindSpiritJournal/

Anonymous said...

Friends, family, food, aquarium, interesting animals...  Sounds like you had a fun day.  I can almost hear everyone talking and laughing together as you all catch up.  Does it get any better than this?
Beautiful photos,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

Those are great pictures.  Sounds like a great day.

Ana  ((0.~))

Anonymous said...

i keep saying that i was going to take my lil one down there to the aquarium  <because i like about 45 minutes/an hour away from the florida aquarium>  but i havent got down there yet....  hope you had a good time.
rachel