Saturday, November 19, 2005

Whenever a door closes, a window opens

Although I am not happy about the Banner Ad situation here on our Journals, I have to admit that some good (at least for me!) has come out of all of this. I was e-mailing back and for the with Judith Heartsong, and it occurred to me that I have actually gotten a couple of positive things out of all of this hoopla. Bear with me here.

As I mentioned to Judith, in the early years of the Internet I learned a little thing called HTML. Back then all you needed was a text editor, a little knowledge of HTML, a bit of patience... and you could easily make your own web pages. Fast forward a few years and you find me traveling around the country with the circus. Being on the road I seldom had access to an Internet connection, and when I did I was only interested in getting a hold of my e-mail. Remember, I am very self-centered. Since I wasn't using the HTML anymore, I didn't pay any attention to the changes being made.

Time passes, HTML changes. Things like CSS are invented and put into use. My knowledge of simple HTML becomes archaic.

Last year, when I started this journal, I bought two books. One on HTML, and the other on CSS. Soon I learned that AOL journals didn't accept many HTML tags, and the ones that they did were well documented. Being the lazy person that I am, I just learned the codes I needed, and left well enough along.

Enter the Banner Ads! Looking around for options, I found myself over at Blogspot where I started a journal. And, lo and behold, Blogger allows quite extensive revamping of its templates! Using my admittedly limited knowledge I was able to cobble together something that will work for me. This was all well and good, but it incited in me the desire to re-establish my knowledge of web page construction. I will definitely be pulling those two (thick <g>) books out and setting myself off in pursuit of that illusive thing called knowledge.

And I was not the only person going out there and establishing secondary journals. Many other folks were doing it to! Soon my AOL alerts and folder of off-AOL blog links were just not cutting it. I had known about Bloglines for a while, but again remember the lazy part? It was so much easier to use AOL's occasionally wonky Alert systems than to learn another application. This was no longer true, and I found myself over at Bloglines signing up for an account and getting down to the business of putting ALL of those blog links into it.

Good News...... I actually prefer Bloglines! It is relatively simple to use, and doesn't fill up my inbox! After mentioning my use of Bloglines in comments, I received a couple of inquiries about how I did it. I quickly opened an e-mail and set about putting my new found knowledge to work helping others. If anyone else is trying Bloglines and having any problems I have written two 'help' files, feel free to comment, or drop me an e-mail and I would be happy to pass them on to you!

My conclusion to all of this is that no matter how horrible things are, it is possible to take something good away from it... Yeah, I know, Little Mary Sunshine aren't I???

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Little Mary Sunshine...can't get enough of that around here these days!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm liking Bloglines too!

Anonymous said...

Sunshine you are!  Will be visiting your blogspot soon!

Tammy
http://lifeliveitormissout.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Well, a little sunshine in this otherwise gloomy week is nice!  I haven't tried bloglines yet, but like you, will do the same.  Patrick has mentioned it many times in his journal and I thought, well, that might be what I need to do.  I'm going to give it a go on my own, but am so happy to know where to find a ray of sunshine in the help department if things go crazy!


thanks JJ, you are as ever, very generous to your community!

Anonymous said...

You are indeed something special!!!

I'm busily transferring and trying to consolidate my stuff into one website I've re-vamped .... I've already recorded your blogspot addy -- post the new one when it's ready!

I'm trying to start a sidebar directory of new journal addresses as well -- while putting a temporary "j-landvoices" website together for the group ... Rushing 'cause I have surgery on Tuesday -----  Is it Thanksgiving yet????

Anonymous said...

I am thinking about taking the plunge and trying it. One more good thing that came from this though, was "meeting: new folks who are veteran bloggers, and who have the most marvelous editions out there. So, I have to add that I have met some really lovely folks out here!
Jo

Anonymous said...

Glad you stopped by but in the same I'm sorry you left also but I linked your new site so I can stay in touch .......I need to do that ...I admit I am awful about that staying in touch, and you were one of the first people I encountered when I started my journal . Be looking to see more of me .....Diane  


Anonymous said...

Little Mary Sunshine - you crack me up!

Anonymous said...

Dear Little Mary Sunshine...  Even in a downpour of awful things happening, it's nice to know sunshine can be seen in the horizon.  Thanks for sharing the sunshine, it's been a chaotic week.
Judith

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being so generous with your time and effort...Love, Courtenay

Anonymous said...

I have been using Bloglines for a while now. I find it simple to use! Are you using Blogspot free blogs or their paid one?
I suppose I will have to learn a bit more code now myself! lol

Anonymous said...

I don't know any HTML...I am so idiotic when it comes to computers...

Anonymous said...

Bloglines sounds great, but I am the QUEEN of lazy people...it'll probably take me another couple months to venture out.

I love your pretty new blog on blogspot!  I'd like to go there, too, but...lazy lazy lazy, I don't know if it'll ever happen.