Friday, January 27, 2006

I'm Famous...

Well at least sort of <g>

Seems that Kim over at I Shaved My Legs for This? is the Guest editor this week... And guess who she picked to share the honor with? Yep, ME! Well, me and some other people <LOL> Be sure to pop over to her place or the Journals Main Page and check out all of her picks.

Since I'm probably going to be getting some extra visitors here in the next few days, I thought I would do a little 'about me' entry.

Although this Journal was never meant to be a 'showcase' for animals, it often becomes one because... well they are and always have been a big part of my life. I was born into a family that loved animals, and I can't remember a time in my childhood when there wasn't at the very least a dog and a cat in my home... and often assorted other creatures...   Add to this the dogs/cats owned by my Grandparents and Aunt/Uncles, and I was exposed to pets from the time I was 3 days old.

My first home was with my Grandparents... in Kentucky... You know, "Land of Beautiful Horses and Fast Women" <eg>. My grandfather's favorite story was always about how I threw such a fit at the age of 6 months that they had to go and get a neighbor to come back and let me have a ride on his horse so I would quit crying. Now, I don't remember this, but I wouldn't doubt it. My Grandfather always claimed that my love of horses began at that moment.

I managed to own a horse by the time I was 20, and by 24 was living in Florida and actually making my living caring for horses!! From there, it was just luck that led me from place to place. The people I originally worked for in Florida owned Arabian Horses. Seeing that the market for them was falling, the owner took the horses he still owned and added a few different breeds to them and started a dinner theatre in Orlando. I was lucky enough to return to work for them in the early 80's just as this was taking off.

Working at the dinner theatre, I was exposed to many different types of riding, all kinds of horses, and a lot of really cool people... some of which had been or were still circus performers. One day one of them recommended me to a trainer who had just arrived from Europe and would be training an act for the circus that would include Friesians, Arabians and..... zebras! I was quickly sold on the idea of not only working with 2 breeds of horses that I admired, but Zebras! The chance seemed to be to wonderful to pass up, and my boss allowed me to take a leave of absence to go work with this trainer for 6 months and help get the act ready to go on the road.

By the time the Fall rolled around, it was obvious that, although the act was well on it's way, it was nowhere near ready to just be handled by anyone, and the trainer convinced me to go with him on the road and travel with the circus for 6 months and finish their training..... And I never looked back.

During the 6 years I spent working for the circus, I was an assistant trainer for this first act, then Head tiger groom for another set of animals, and finally a Senior Animal Handler... which meant I helped out where needed. It was a wonderful experience and I crossed the entire continent twice, was in New York City at Madison Square Gardens three times, went once to Mexico City, and even visited Canada,  and along the way had many adventures. Most importantly, I met the man I currently share my life with.

A little over a year and a half ago, G (my significant other) was offered a wonderful opportunity to work in a zoo. This was a dream of his since he was a child, so how could I say no?? We came off the road, and while he went to work for the zoo, I found a job that I could do while I look for the 'right' job for me. Luckily for me, since G and several of our friends still work with exotic animals, I still get the opportunity to be around the animals I adore...  Still, I look forward to finding the right spot for me to continue to do what I love.

While waiting for -my- dream job, I have several 'furkids' who keep me quite busy. We Previewhave Morgan (the Pembroke Welsh Corgi) who is the darling of my eye. She is almost 3now, and I've had her since she was just six weeks old. D.K. (short for Devil Kitty) is a 'tuxedo' cat and 11 years old. I've had her since she was a 5 week old kitten. And finally, but by no means last, is Boo, my horse. He is a black bay Arabian who I actually helped be born. On Jan 1 (all horses have their 'official' Previewbirthday on Jan 1!) he was 16 years old.... but, he will get his birthday celebration in the spring anyway <g>

So, that's the short form...... The newer pictures you find here in my Journal are from our local zoo or aquarium... although I do on occasion get to a little more exotic locals. The older ones... well, they can be from anywhere <g>

Hope you enjoy your visit... And Thanks for stopping by!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats being a guest feature thiss week ...yeah !!!!!    You deserve it . Getting myself back on track and catching up.

Loved the pictures of all your pets they are so  beautiful ,,,,,,,jealous  you got a horse  lol !!    Have a good week   Hugs  Diane

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being an editor's pick. -Dawn-

Anonymous said...

Hi Morgan, DK and Boo.
  *** Coy ***


Anonymous said...

This was great...........
Thank you for putting this together.
And congrats on being picked.

Anonymous said...

I love coming to this journal, because it helps me a lot when I start missing the zoo. You know it's strange, but being around lots of people is not my thing. But being around all the animals day in and day out was so awesome. I miss it.

Ari

Anonymous said...

Hey!  I've been a fan of yours for a long time!  So these new folks better behave and adore you as much as I do.  And they better treat their animal kids very well!

:)

Love,
Russ

Anonymous said...

JJ!!  {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}   Congrats on being an editors pick...right along with me!!  How cool is that??  

I haven't written anything about it in my journal yet, but I will tomorrow!  I have SOOO many things to talk about!  Guess what?  I'm going to tell you right now?  I'm gonna be a grandma again!  My son Brian (the oldest) and his wife just called me tonite to tell me that she is 4 months pregnant.  They waited, because she has had major problems in the past, and always miscarried.  Everything looks great now, so they feel free to tell everyone!  I am so excited!  
Sorry..  I got carried away.. lol

Congrats again, JJ!!

Hugs and love,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

COOL! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

So nice you were spotlighted too!  You have had an interesting and adventurous life thus far -- may it continue on that way JJ.

Anonymous said...

I love your journal. You recent pictures are fabulous. Corgies are the best. When I lived in New York and was boarding my horse at a mostly show barn, the trainer had a Corgi who used to pace the strides between the fences that were set up for practice. We used to count her strides and then figure out what that meant in horse language. It was too funny! Her name was Julie and she was the apple of all our eyes!! Continue a fabulous journal. It is terrific!!

Jo

Anonymous said...

Right where you belong -- up there amongst the stars!!!

Regretfully, I'm no longer receiving alerts from your other journal -- so it's great to have you "home!"

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos!  And a very pleasing journal.  Congratulations on being featured.  I agree, a very good pick.  
From one animal lover to another (although I hesitate to call myself, "animal lover" as much as someone who simply respect animals and tries to help the needy ones), I wish you success on your journal and other endeavors.

Patty    

Anonymous said...

Wow!! What a story! Where abouts in KY?

Anonymous said...

congratulations!! Koda and me think you and Morgan and all the other animals who share your life deserve this honor!

Thanks for writing a bit about your past experiences with animals and careers; fascinating!!!

betty & Koda

Anonymous said...

Great journal!
This entry was so interesting. You are living a dream.
I love animals and working with them would be a wonderful life.

Keep writing and I will be back.

Mary Louise

http://journals.aol.com/mlrhjeh/WatchingMySisterDisappear

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful adventure!  I so love hearing about other's lives and interests.  It's akin to reading a favorite book, you can almost see yourself there through the words of the writer.

Tammy
http://LifeLiveItOrMissOut.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Great Journal. LOVE the pics!

Carolyn
http://journals.aol.com/shelt28/MyLife

Anonymous said...

congrats for being guest editor's pick! I enjoyed reading this entry.
Ann
journals.aol.com/urbannote/sayosmething

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed my visit and all of your pics. come on over for a visit to my ranch

Anonymous said...

wow! what an exciting life you have! I am putting you on my alerts so I can share vicariously.
Marti

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your journal.  I too am a huge animal lover.  I swear the whole neighborhood brings lost or hurt critters.  Congrats on being picked.
Dwana

Anonymous said...

What beautiful animals!!  Someone who cares so much for animals has to have a huge heart.  Nice journal, happy to visit, and I will be back!  michelle

Anonymous said...

Oh, congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Where in Kentucky were you born?

Anonymous said...

I love all 3! I'm such a fickle one--in love at first sight with so many animals! ;-) But now Boo is a real heart thumper! xox Sassy