Sunday, February 27, 2005

10 Things I've Done You Probably Haven't...

 

I found this first at John Scalzi's Journal...  By the Way , and then, owing to John's long reach, saw it in several other Journals. It was even mentioned by Paul --see his take on it here  at Aurora Walking Vacation-- and, although he thought it was a little silly <g>, I was still contemplating wether to do this or not when received an IM from  pixiedustnme. (She has one of my favorite Journals In My Opinion) She asked if I was going to do it, and expressed a desire to see what I would come up with, so I decided why not, it could be fun.

Your Wednesday Meme: 10 Things I've Done You Probably Haven't

This is a fun thing that's been going around the Web these days, so I thought I'd import it here to the AOL-J: Ten Things I've Done You Probably Haven't.

The idea here is to note things you've done that you think are pretty unique -- although, given what's happened in other blogs and journals where this game is being played, you'll be surprised at how many people end up saying "Hey, I've done that, too!" Put them up in your own Journal and let the fun begin (you can also add your list in comments, or put a link back to any entry you write).

So, without further Ado.... Ten Things I've done that you probably haven't....

1. I livedon a Train -- this was actually my only residence year round!

2. Raised a couple of sets of baby tigers... from bottles to teaching them to eat meat (Yes, you have to teach them to eat meat <LOL>)

3. Entered a cage with adult tigers that I had NOT raised... and walked back out of the cage.... Gunther Gabel-Williams used to tell people that walking INTO the cage was the easy part, walking OUT was the hard part <g> hmmmm... I wonder if some of the people I have met could be a separate one?? I've been fortunate enough to work with (and around) several really great trainers.

4. Kissed G. on the top of the Empire State Building AND the Space Needle in the same year

5. Ridden a Royal Lippizan in a show in front of a paying audience. Square Danced on Horseback. Ran around at top speed carrying flags and flaming torches. Ridden sidesaddle while dancing the Macarama (O.k.... that ones kind of embarrassing ,g>)


6. Drug on the ground behind a wagon (dressed as an Indian) pulled by a pair of horses, climbed up in it.... and then mock fought with the guy dressed as a cavalry officer! Oh... and I've driven the pair of horses while someone ELSE drug behind dressed as the Indian <LOL>

7. Been almost completely covered up under a pile of adolescent Tigers.

8. Lived in a closed down train station in Mexico City -- with Armed Guards at the gates (they had Uzies... really!!). They parked our train there... Believe it or not, there was a Wal-Mart just 2 blocks away <g>

9. Ridden subways in New York City, Washington D.C. AND Mexico City, Mexico.

10. Driven a Chariot pulled by a team of horses.... AND a break-away chariot (think Ben Hur... the chariot breaks apart from the team of horses and you are drug out to the chariot and across the arena!)

And a couple of bonus ones...

11. Ridden on an elephant the 'correct' way (i.e. sitting on the neck behind the ears -- not in one of those basket thingies <g>)

12. Helped teach Zebras to lead on a line-- and eventually perform with some horses.

13. Both Hung upside down from and stood up on a horse while it ran across an arena.

14. Went to a Black Tie affair held at Madison Square Gardens. It was for our 'official' opening of our show, but we had been traveling and doing the show for 3months <g>.

15. Walked with animals (horses, elephants) from Queens to Madison Square Gardens thru the Midtown Tunnel (The police close down the tunnel one way to let us thru!) at 2 am

Sidenote: I did the written part of this on Friday night, but decided I would add some pictures. <sigh> I don't know if it was AOL, or my broadband connection, but I haven't been able to hold a connection long enough to get anything uploaded till tonight <bigger sigh> I could do anything else, but the minute I would try to upload a picture -- Boot! I wanted to do the pics thru the YGP feature so that you don't have to see the pics unless you want to. I know some people have dial up <smile>.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great list!  I thought I had done #7 until I got to the last word - ROFL.  Loved the pictures and all I can say is you look HOT in that first one girl!  

Anonymous said...

I can officially say I have never done ANY these things. but boy will Soph be intrigued when I show her this!  ~Sue

Anonymous said...

Love your list, so interesting! and I can say I've never done any of these.. I love trains!
~ Promise
http://journals.aol.com/promiseluv372/NoPromisesNoDemands/

Anonymous said...

What a fascinating list!  You have had so many wonderful experiences!  I saw GG-W on my birthday one year, mys sons were small and we still went to the circus.  I've never gotten over the wonder of it, but they are too "mature" for it now.  They'll come around, one day!  Thanks for sharing.  Bruce  http://journals.aol.com/anarchitek/thewizardofahs/  and  

Anonymous said...

YOU WIN!!!!  LOL!  What an amazing and interesting life!!!  I loved the pics tremendously as I love cats - big ones, little ones...just never been around wild ones, but they are beautiful to look at.  Its funny that you write this entry today.  I was looking around for a photo of the Detroit Tigers' mascot, "Paws" to send you since I know you love tigers.  Its here on a CD *somewhere*.  Soon as I find, I will send.  He's a cutie too and won't look at you like you're dinner!  Thank you for sharing with us.  Utterly amazing to me.  Hugs, Sheila

Anonymous said...

Great List! Way to go Astaryth...love the horses. Only thing on your list that I've done is ride the NYC subway...oh, Tokyo Subway & bullet train...I played this too it's fun....Sandi

Anonymous said...

wow! great list!  I've been on the subway in NY and DC...but never in Mexico..and you certainly have me beat on everything else ;-)
~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl  

Anonymous said...

wow!!!I am impressed ...What an exciting thrilling life you have had...i wish you could help me train my horses...sounds like you have a way with animals beyond the pale...http://journals.aol.com/courtenaymphelan/rhymesforthetimes

Anonymous said...

I want a job working with you and the tigers, or cleaning the cages...lol..fascinating!! Do they have room for a pig trainer?  I do know pigs..four-legged.  I am in awe...truly.

Anonymous said...

Love the list and LOVE the pictures! Always wanted to run away and join the circus when I was a kid and now I know someone who actually did!!!! lol

Anonymous said...

Nope!  Never done any of the activities on your list, but I have to wonder if I ever saw you perform!

Anonymous said...

WOW Girl, I'm amazed! I've read a few of these meandering around journals and all I can say is WOW. I can't believe you do/did all those things. The stories you must be able to tell everyone.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Well, it's official, my life is BORING!  You have undoubtedly had a life full of amazing experiences, thank you for sharing them.  At the very least, I can live, vicariously (even if only momentarily) through you!  There is no way I can come up with 10 things no one else has done, let alone 5 extra.  I am humbled by you.
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Ok I'll trade by no means is your life dull .......but I never thought of adding extras .....I did go to the Govenors Ball this years for Matt Blunt  in Missouri ....LOL!!!  Does that count ??  I live a much more settled live now.  After all I'm married to a law officer.  Now I understand why you have a passion for tigers .......Diane

Anonymous said...

WOW!  I'm suitably impressed!  How exciting... especially the little tiger babies... : )
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Now THAT was interesting!  I love it and would have done it myself if I hadn't done other things.  Wonderful pictures and memories.  Blessings, Penny

Anonymous said...

love to come here..... just wanted to say hello tonight. judi

Anonymous said...

Yes, I can honestly say I haven't done any of those things! #1 and #7 especially has caught me...great entry!

Anonymous said...

hey!
thats so cool about the tigers.. id love to do that.. i know most cant though. so i respect that..but its still cool

jackie~
http://journals.aol.com/jackiebenice/blah/
and
http://journals.aol.com/jackiebenice/JackiesFunPage/

Anonymous said...

      Only you could have a list like this one ... I love to hear you performance with animals stories:-) Would be interested in seeing the pictures!

                                      *** Coy ***

Anonymous said...

Wow!  You have lived such an exciting life!  That is so COOL you've been around all those wonderful animals!  And gee, I haven't done any of those things, so I'm jealous!  Although when I was little, after seeing Barnum and Bailey's Three Ring Circus, I did think I wanted  to join the circus! :-)

Thanks for sharing!  And sorry about your computer problems.  I've been booted off repreatedly as well. So much so, I stopped writing for awhile.  But I'm back!  

Thanks for stopping by my journal.  And yes, I agree with you.  I wish my mom would talk to a lawyer, but she's just too overwhelmed right now.  

Take care and all the best.  And keep those exciting animal stories coming!  :-)

Anonymous said...

Okay, this is one of the coolest entries and set of pictures I have seen around here!  Love it!

~Tina

Anonymous said...

This looks like so much fun! The closest I've ever been to exotic animals was the zoo, though I've wanted to pet some of these animals, especially the baby tigers and horses.

Blessings,

Sara

http://journals.aol.com/glopsblink/ATreasureTroveofGoodies

Anonymous said...

Wow.. those were great pictures! And the things you've done! Double wow! I always wanted to be in the circus when I was a kid..but.. never really did it..
I am glad I ran into this journal ,it is now a new favorite of mine! :) MissM*

http://journals.aol.com/domesticatedchic/SomethingLikeLifePartDeux/

Anonymous said...

I loved this! I looked at the pictures with Ben and he was amazed that you did all this! He loved the tiger pictures- Gosh they do look so cuddly!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've ridden an elephant! :O)

Anonymous said...

Truly amazing!  Love the pictures.  What a unique and intriquing experience working for Ringling Bros.  It always fascinates me to read your experiences. :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, but have you ever flown a C-141?  Cool journal.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a fun life you lead!  The living on a train part reminds me of this guy named Dante who own's Dante's Down the Hatch (a yummy pirate themed fondue and jazz restaurant) in Atlanta, GA.  He owned his own caboose and attached it to trains and traveled the country for long periods of time.  Sounds like fun!  
-Dia