Sunday, December 12, 2004

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree....

                          Preview

Whew.... It's finally done. Seems like it took forever to put my tree up this year, but you know there is a story behind it.... (with us there always seems to be a "story behind it" <eg>)

Remember the entry I made a few days back about the cute little kitten I got, that wasn't very cuddly?? Well, her first Christmas she was about 4 months old. I put up my tree like always, and she took it down.... multiple times! Finally, I gave up and took the tree down myself. For the next couple of years my roommate and I made do with a smaller version of a Christmas tree.

PreviewNow, this was a very annoying tree! I don't know if anyone will remember them or not, but they were called "Singing Christmas Trees". They were about 3 feet tall and looked like an undecorated miniture tree... till you walked past. They had a noise/motion detector in them. When set off, eyes would pop open and a mouth would appear and it would sing Christmas songs...cute the first 5 or 6 times. After a while, we turned it off unless someone who hadn't seen it was around. This is the tree I used for the next 8 years (5 years of which I was living in a train room and being small it fit really well <g>).

So, the first thing I said after Halloween was that I wondered how D.K. would deal with a Christmas tree now. G was less concerned with her than with Morgan, who is still basically a puppy at only 1 1/2 years old. Well, I was adament that I wanted a big tree.

The day after Thanksgiving I bought a tree, when put up a couple of days later...it was discovered that it had a short in the "prelit" strands of lights. On the weekend, G took it back and exchanged it. Again I put the tree together...and Yeah! The lights work AND they stayed lit. Now, being the cautious person I am, we decided to leave the tree up with just lights for the next few days. Three days, and no one offered to climb/chew/demolish the tree, so today I drug out my box of ornaments.

That was 8 years ago that D.K. caused me to take down my last "big" tree. These ornaments have been in storage since then. It was almost like Christmas opening up the box and going thru the ornaments and other things I had packed away. I had forgotten how many neat ornaments I have. Many of them are Hallmarks, but some are from obscure shops/craft shows/and even a few from my artistic efforts overthe years!

So, I thought I would post a picture of our tree.... and one of Previewmy favorite ornaments. Iwill post more pictures of favorite ornaments  over the next few days.What fun!

Oh yes, side note: Both Morgan and D.K. watched me while I decorated the tree, but neither offered any "help" until I started to put the icicles on. Hmmmm... shiny silver things hanging down and waving. So far, neither one has done more than sniff the icicles that are on the bottom branches, but we will see. I did have to catch D.K. and help her "remove" a couple of icicles that stuck to her head!
<snicker>

Graphics by Syruss.com

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

The tree looks lovely!

Anonymous said...














Gorgeous job!

E












Anonymous said...

I can't keep my cats OUT of my Christmas tree. Plus one of them has become a ornament theif and is constantly snatching one off and running down the hall with it to hide. Your tree looks great. I love the idea of ribbons off the top all the way down like that! I'm glad you have your real tree this year
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

What a pretty tree!  For years, I couldn't put the glass ornaments I loved up, my cats just loved to bat them around!  Now, we will have to keep the house weasel <ferret> in his cage until the tree comes down...or else disaster will ensue! LOL Thanks for stopping by my journal! ~Mary Anne~http://journals.aol.com/maozmon/JustaWeeBitOfMyWorld/entries/981

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful...
I recently saw a show somewhere, Animal Planet I guess, that showed a cat sitting in a Christmas tree, all you could see was big eyes, it was cute.

Anonymous said...

You beat me to it. I was about to do an entry with pictures of our Christmas tree, including a close-up of my favourite ornament. Now I can't. Years ago, when we had our first cat (a stone deaf white one) we spent the evening putting up our Christmas tree. When I woke up in the moring it was gone. Completely gone, and no evidence it had ever been there. I thought I had dreamed about putting it up. It seems the cat had climbed the tree, knocked it over, and destroyed it at 3:00 in the morning. My wife had gotten up, taken it all apart, thrown it in the garbage, and cleaned the living room, and I never budged.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tree...I didn't think of taking a picture of my fav ornament..uhmmmm   :)
SHARON
http://journals.aol.com/spurgins311/SLS

Anonymous said...

The tree looks great
  *** Coy ***

Anonymous said...

That tree is so cool!  It makes mine look scrawny in comparison.

Anonymous said...

Nice job!!  The tree looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your tree looks lovely!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tree!

~Tina

Anonymous said...

Nice tree. When my son celebrated his first Christmas in 1992, I cut a slice out of the tree we had that year and made a "Wesley's First Chritmas Tree" ornament. I wish I had thought to do that for his 3 older sisters.

Anonymous said...

I remember those trees - I think it was called Douglas Fir ... they had them all lined up outside one of the stores in the mall, and used to drive me BONKERS!!

No tree for me ... three little furballs, two spotted demons, and a really small three level town house (to the tune of the 12 Days of Christmas).

Kasey

Anonymous said...

About your Unicorn comment in my journal.  I use to be a big fan when I was ALOT younger.  But then recently I got back into them again.  Something about Unicorns.  L.  

Anonymous said...

OHH OHH my KAT Kat Does the whole "dragging down of the tree" routine.  Then OBE (that's the KAT Kat) will eat on the Christmas lights.  Which is why we no longer leave them plugged up when we go.  Silly kitty, Electrical shock is for humans.  L.

Anonymous said...

LOL how funny!
http://journals.aol.com/threeboogers4me/MyCrazyLife/
katy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my journal today. I love your tree. I wanted to put the ribbon streamers on my tree too..it looks very pretty on yours.   Watch out for Bubba Claus   :)

Vivian

Anonymous said...

Love your tree!!! goregousness...=) Take care noww..
holiday Hugs, MEG<3 from Friendship Loyalty and Love
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http:..journals.aol.com/megzie212/MegsAOLJournal/

Anonymous said...

What a nice journal!  I can just see that cat licking its little cat lips getting ready to pounce on the ornaments!

http://journals.aol.com/wildblueiris/MaxtheBear-InSearchofChristmas/

Anonymous said...

I like your tree.... but I need to be a party pooper.... you said you have icicles on it... you may want to consider taking them off.... If one of your animals does chew on one/swallow it, it can cut the intestines and/or wrap around them and cut off the circulation... I've talked to people who have lost pets this way, or had to foot $500-$1500 bills to have the icicles removed... just a thought!

Anonymous said...

Yes, the tree does have icicles on it, but the tree is in a room that the cat and dog do NOT have unsupervised access to. That is for both the safety of the dog, cat and tree <g>.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... I tried to send nikkikay80 an e-mail so she would be aware that I knew of the problem, and to thank her for her concern, but the e-mail wouldn't send and stated "Not a known member".. so, nikkikay80
if you come back by, I did try to thank you...