Friday, December 3, 2004

To Us It's History

Some things just make you think... I don't know why this article set me off on a tangent. Maybe because my own grandmother turns 90 this year. I find talking to her about her life to be fascinating... But, I find most older people to be fascinating... Sometimes you just have to slow down so you can hear them!

I ran across this article on AOL's main page today.AOL News - Oldest American Dies at Age 114 in Ohio... This woman was sharp and active up until just a few months ago. She didn't move in with her daughter until she was 98... and her daughter was in her 80's!

From the Article:

Johnston voted in every election since women earned the right in 1920, even casting an absentee ballot in November.

Johnston lived a wholesome life, rarely visited doctors and never used the deductible on her health insurance policy, relatives said. The secretary at her doctor's office said Johnston had the thinnest file on record.

Drake University recognized Johnston as its oldest graduate. Johnston attended the first Drake Relays in 1910, when tuition was $54 per year.

Johnston is survived by her four children, who are now all past 70.

This woman voted in every election... Since Women were given the right to Vote!! She remembered a time when this wasn't something she was allowed to do. She was born in 1890, so she would have been 30 years old when she voted in her very first election. This means she has voted for every president since Harding... including this last election, although she had to send in an absentee ballot todo it.

What amazing things she saw!

Radios, automobiles, Airplanes, submarines, television, personal computers, video games, recordplayers, VCRs, the list of technological advancements just goes on & on.

She lived thru the First & Second World War, Vietnam, Korea, the Gulf War and saw the beginnings of the current conflicts. She was alive to see the building of, and the destruction of, the Berlin wall. She was alive when they bombed Pearl Harbor, and still with us when the Twin Towers fell in New York City on Sept 11, 2001.

What amazing, horrible, wonderful, frustrating, inspiring things she was alive to see. Goodbye Verona Johnston... Rest in Peace!

                                                    Preview

Graphic by Free Graphic Store

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely!!!  Every time an 18+ year old woman in this country doesn't vote, she is spitting on the grave of those women who didn't have the opportunity that we take for granted.

It's shameful.   Great entry.

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

It's an amazing thing...a man that was 114 years old died last month...he seemed to also had lead a wholesome life....hmmm, perhaps we could learn something from that, but our society is so spoiled to all kinds of junk...wouldn't it have been a trip to listen to her tell us about the things she saw, I love the elderly (that's most of the patients I see in my job).

Anonymous said...

I suspect there were at least some presidents she voted against. ;) OK, I know what you meant, but I couldn't resist.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

I don't think  I want to live that long. Wow!
Jodi

Anonymous said...

I'm sometimes thankful that I still smoke and love salty foods.  I don't want to be around to witness all the horrors yet to come.  On my death bed, I'll use my last breath to say "Good Luck, SUCKERS!"

Anonymous said...

Nice entry. I'm 52. I just re-enrolled in college to finish my last two years. I may be 114 before I graduate.

Anonymous said...

If only we all would have been so fortunate to meet this woman before her passing so we could learn a few things from her.  Amazing, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

She was born when Dick Clark was young-looking.
She passed away when Dick Clark was .... er .... STILL young-looking!

Anonymous said...

I just dropped over to let you know I bought the book you recommended....The five people you meet in Heaven. We'll have to catch up soon after we have both read it and see what each other thought! Thanks so much
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

I was doing a little journal hopping when I came across your journal and this entry.  What wonderful tribute to our seniors and to Verona Johnson.  My ex's grandma lived to be 100 and she had a very sharp mind right to the end.  I always loved listening to her talk about the first time women could vote, her first time on a plane when it was very expensive for them to fly, and so much more she was able to share.  Sadly my ex rarely wanted to sit around and listen to her slow ramblings.

Monica
http://journals.aol.com/sonensmilinmon/SmilinMonsAdventures/

Anonymous said...

Farewell to Verona. And farewell to Vera, a tablemate of mine here at the old folks home. Vera was 103 and still walked to the dining room for meals.  She was born in this city, Merced, California, before it was a city, not in the last century, but the century BEFORE last.  Although she lived in three different centuries she kept abreast of current events.  Her son, himself in his 80s, had been one of President Kennedy's helicopter pilots.
Verona was born well before World War I.  In fact, Victoria was queen when Verona and Vera were born.

Anonymous said...

Oops... I'll go in and correct that.. You are correct. I had pulled up a couple of timelines and I must have misread the WWI one. G just smacked me up the back of the head because I didn't have him proofread this entry. (He's my history buff). I'll edit the entry today... Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

WASNT that an amazing article. Can you IMAGINE the things she has seen? besides the obvious! ~ Sue

Anonymous said...

I also am intrigued with older people.... even more so now that I've moved to Florida and discovered how many wonderful things that they can teach me!  MaJongg, nature painting,how to make gator bites so that they're not tough!
I just added an entry to my journal about a diary that I have found of a woman who would be 99 if she is still alive. She was 12 when she wrote the diary. Read the entry if you have the chance...
Maryanne

http://journals.aol.com/globetrotter2u/Myfeelingsarereal/entries/912