Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Blood Moon--Lunar Eclipse

Just in time for Halloween, not only do we get a full moon, but it's the Blood Moon!

Blood Moon, what a cool name! That's what they call tonights full moon. It's also been called the Hunter's Moon... Why?? Well, the reason it was called a Hunters Moon is because it was one of the last full moons of the fall and hunters would use it's light to help them hunt and fill their larders for the winter. Fall was a time for gathering in of food to survive the winter months. Course now we just have to survive the trip to Wally World <g>. As for Blood moon, it's often called that because of the color of the moon during an eclipse. There is a great explanation of why the moon is red here. This is a Nasa link and should work for everyone.

I know where I'll be tonight. Sitting outside with my honey and watching the lunar eclipse. Want to know what time you should be outside? Check here. There is a listing of times for all the time zones of when to watch. Some places won't see a total eclipse, same as for a solar eclipse. So, now that I've caught your interest, why don't you check out this link too. It's got some more information, and a cool demo of what a lunar exlipse looks like. Sorry, that last link is an AOL only one.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Might be just me but I don't see any links in this entry and I wanna visit the sites! lol

Anonymous said...

<sigh> They were there if you ran your mouse over them. For some reason the underline isn't coming thru. On the "edit" page they are underlined and a slightly different color. Since that was what happened automatically, I thought it would carry over to the entry....NOT! Sooo... I went back in and highlighted and hit the underline button. Back to entry--no go, still no underline. Back to edit and change the color of the word.... back to entry and ... SUCCESS! Now you can see them without running your mouse over them. <huge sigh> Someday I'll get this all worked out.

O.k. Now you can check them out... Bright side is that that will be two hits on the counter for you and let's see... that would make 3 from me <LOL>
::Posted and e-mail::

Anonymous said...

Hey, johnmscalzi wrote about this in his journal also... He has another great link for information. Look here: http://journals.aol.com/johnmscalzi/bytheway/entries/2835

Anonymous said...

yea i saw the eclipse it was really nice.

Anonymous said...

I missed the eclipse.  Actually I had no idea about it.  I guess I need to pay more attention to the news.  Have enjoyed reading your journal~

Anonymous said...

LOL I wish I could have seen the eclipse. Clouds are here to stay for awhile though. Still haven't left. Sometimes I swear in Minnesota you don't see the sun for a week or more during the coming winter months. *sigh*
But there was some good eclipse pictures I got to see from other aol members.
New reader to your J as well and look forward to reading more. :)