Sunday, October 23, 2005

Alpha... Alpha???

We interrupt the regularly scheduled entries to this journal to bring up a disturbing fact according to this AOL News story:

MIAMI (Oct. 22) - Tropical Storm Alpha formed Saturday in the Caribbean, setting the record for the most named storms in an Atlantic hurricane season and marking the first time forecasters had to turn to the Greek alphabet for names.

The previous record of 21 named storms had stood since 1933. Alpha was the 22nd to reach tropical storm strength this year, and the season doesn't end until Nov. 30.

Since 1995, the Atlantic has been in a period of higher hurricane activity, a cycle expected to last at least another 10 years.

Wilma was the last on the list of 21 storm names for 2005; the letters q, u, x, y and z are skipped. The Greek alphabet provides a continuation of that list but had never been used in six decades of regularly naming Atlantic storms.

We have now had to start naming new storms after letters of the Greek alphabet!

O. K., obviously they thought it was a possibility that it would happen, or they wouldn't have had a contingency plan in place.... But for Cripes Sake!! Enough already! <LOL>

According to the article that I took the above excerpts from, we are seeing weather conditions much like we had in the 50's and 60's. This is a normal cycle, and this too shall pass! <g> To read the complete article, and see why we are having our current weather cycle, click here. Another interesting link, given to us earlier this week by the Blogfather over at By The Way, is from NASA and gives us a look at all of the storms from the 2005 season --in 2 minutes-- it doesn't include Storm Alpha yet, so soon it will take longer <sigh>. Still, click here, it is cool to look at!

Although hurricane Wilma will probably be making landfall to the south of us, today is a day of making sure everything is ready for her coming. We will possibly be seeing tropical storm force winds, and this means that any of the critters that are outside need to be given some thought. Today at the zoo, G and his fellow keepers will be deciding who needs to go where overnight, and they will watch the radars/weather reports closely to be sure their charges are safe. I will be moving Boo into his stall for protection. I normally prefer my horses to be outside, but Boo's pasture has the possibility of parts of the three different barns that surround his pasture flying thru the air. He dislikes being kept in, so I will probably do my normal Sunday routine, then return later tonight around 8 or 9 and move him inside for the rest of the night and until I am sure Wilma has passed.

We still have 38 days left in this hurricane season.... Beta anyone???

Preview

Couldn't leave you without a cute animal picture <g>This was taken last week at the zoo. He looks like he's been thru a hurricaine!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine living anywhere near the Gulf and having to withstand all these hurricanes!  Is there no end?  I mean, I know that hurricane season is coming to a close, but, geesh.. this has been one heck of a season for all who resides within the paths of these horrible things.
Me... I live in California, and while I can't see an Earthquake coming, I can sure feel it when it does.  I think, though, that I would take our earthquakes over all those hurricanes!
Hope you and your animals stay safe, JJ...
Thanks for the links, they were very interesting! Especially the video one showing the movements of all the hurricanes!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I'm excited in a way that we have an Alpha storm brewing; it makes me think about Jesus being the Alpha and the Omega :)

Do the animals sense storms coming? Do you see more activity out of them when the barometric pressure drops or conversely rises?

betty

Anonymous said...

You know what, I'm a little upset that they didn't choose my name for a hurricane. They should name one Ari and then it could be a nice hurricane that doesn't destroy anything.

Ari

Anonymous said...

Be safe.  (What kind of bird is in the photograph?)
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

I hope Boo is okay! Pat had a horse named Lady that did not like to stay inside either. She had been known to kick the walls down. There was a particular bad storm and she was franically running the fields. He got her into the barn and stayed with her for a bit. As soon as he left the barn the door was kicked down and out she went. He caught her again and stayed with her until the storm had passed.
I hope that the animals at the zoo are safe. I will be watching to make sure that you come thru okay.

Anonymous said...

be safe.... judi

Anonymous said...

He LOOKS like he is a hurricane!

Anonymous said...

He does look like he's been through a hurricane!
I'll be relieved when this season ends so I can move out of this crazy place!
I bought my house in Florida in April of '94 and since then we have had how many storms and how many occurrences of red tide?
Good grief, Charlie Brown!
Go see my latest entry. It'll make you smile:)
MAryanne
http://journals.aol.com/globetrotter2u/Myfeelingsarereal/entries/1168

Anonymous said...

Stay safe and keep your animals protected (I know you will).   I'm worried about you.

Russ

Anonymous said...

How cool, is that a pelican?

Anonymous said...

This hurricane season is so crazy.  I can't wait until it is over.  Keep yourself and the animals safe.  Love,

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I have been through so many hurricanes here in NC. I ALWAYS see to it that my pets are as safe as we are. After all they are my babies :).

Gabreael

Anonymous said...

wonderful pictures!  I hope you and everyone else made it thru the latest hurricane.  
I did volunteer work in California for Shambala Preserve for a few years, I miss the wild ones, so finding your journal is a present!