Sunday, October 16, 2005

Weekend Assignment #81: Favorite Sci-Fi Movies

Time for John's Weekend Assignment.... let's see what he has for us this week....

Weekend Assignment #81: Share one of your favorite science fiction movies. Note that this doesn't have to be the "best" science fiction film ever, or the most popular, or the most significant; it doesn't even have to be a good science fiction film. It just should be a science fiction film you enjoy watching over and over again -- the kind that always sucks you into the couch whenever it's on TV.

Oh, this is too cruel! I am supposed to pick ONE science fiction picture???? Oh, the inhumanity, the cruelty.... the... IMPOSSIBILITY!

A quick scan of our DVD/VCR collections shows you an eclectic mix. I have a lot of Disney/Pixar stuff, Both Shreks, Shark's Tale, The Incredibles, etc. Hey, I like animation! G has a lot of war movies and a pretty good collection of John Wayne. I have a few chick flicks. But, the majority is Scifi/Fantasy!

Just a quick look down the rack (of just the DVDs <g>) gives you everything from Clash of the Titans, to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, to Titan AE. We have... hmmmm.... let's see... All of the Star Wars currently available (and holding our breath for III, which will be out on Nov 1 <g>), both Spiderman's, The Incredibles, Total Recall, Hellboy, Big Fish, Apollo13, Both X-men, Robots, Constantine, both Tomb Raiders, VanHelsing, Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow, all the Star Trek Movies, ditto on all the Matrix stuff (including the Animatrix <LOL>), the Highlander movies, both of the Mummy movies, all of the James Bond stuff..... the list just goes on!

So, how am I supposed to pick just one?? <sigh> Fine, O.K... I'll pick...........

Highlander... The first one! And mostly because I love the character Sean Connery plays <LOL> and, since some people consider that a fantasy rather than a Sci/fi movie, I'll give you a straight Sci/fi pick.... Independence Day. That movie was just plain fun!

Extra Credit: Who is the coolest science fiction character ever? Note that this character doesn't have to be in the film you've selected asyour favorite -- consider the entire genre.

As for Extra credit..... Angelina Jolie IS the Tomb Raider! O.K.... these films weren't High Drama, or heck even well acted..... But, they were FUN!

Hmmm.... I'm off to go and watch a movie... probably a scifi/fantasy one!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't watch Star Trek that much, but my hubby bought Star Trek: Nemesis and I have to say, it's a great film. Other than that, I gotta stand by Star Wars and the Alien saga as best Sci-fi films. I like all kinds though.

Ari

Anonymous said...

Lots of good movies you listed :)

My hubby is the sci fi fan in our house; but I'll sit through "most" of them with him. I did like Independence Day; that I don't get tired of watching.

Hope you enjoyed whatever movie you picked to watch today :)

betty

Anonymous said...

I usually can't watch sci-fi movies. I simply spook too easily. The only one I ever watched was "Alien" and I imagined slime dripping out of closets for weeks afterwards. You and my husband would get along famously. He could watch that stuff all day!
MAryanne

Anonymous said...

"Aliens" (the sequel) was my favorite sci-fi movie.  As for images...hmmmm... I'd have to say I love that image where the little boy in "Close Encounters" opened up the door to a big glowing UFO light.  

Russ

Anonymous said...

Love Highlander!  I remember watching it one night at my brother's insistence, and I was hooked.  
I watch it whenever it's on, and the first one is the best one, I agree.  
Anna

Anonymous said...

Oh boy I love the movie choices...but I have to agree with you no one outdoes Sean Connery..in anything. The original Highlander is one of my favorites too...oh my..SciFi - too many movies and not enough time....Sandi http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/LifeIsFullOfSurprises

Anonymous said...

I am with you as well.  The original Highlander is the best and who can resist Sean.  We share similar movie tastes.  :)  Dona   http://journals.aol.com/delela1/ BlueSkiesandGentleBreezes

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh Angelina Jolie, she is divine, in anything she plays in.
I loved Highlander, but Independence Day is one of my favs.......Nothing till the fat lady sings.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

YAY for you!!!  Congrats and well-deserved!!!  


~~ jennifer & walter

Anonymous said...

does Men In Black count too?  rofl - i didn't even  do this assignment, i am so ashamed - but you're right, it's impossible to pick just one!

Anonymous said...

Yummm...the Highlander...but I guess you would know I love that,since we are into the Scottish re-enactments!!

Anonymous said...

Highlander is the type of film I wish I'd never seen.... Just so I could watch it all over again! It was on the other night actually and I caught it again in bits and pieces. It's a movie of great charm and that's DESPITE Christopher Lambert's terrible Scottish brogue!

Thank you for stopping by my journal with your good wishes. I see they are in order for you too. So here's a big ((SLAP ON THE BACK)). Well done on your VIVI nomination and best of British luck to you!

Tilly x
http://journals.aol.co.uk/tillysweetchops/Adventuresofadesperatelyfathouse/