Sunday, October 9, 2005

Photo Scavenger Hunt (#44)

 

This week's photo shoot from Krissy at Sometimes I Think is:

Category:  Anything Autumn

Hmmmm.... well in most parts of the country there is a definite feel to Autumn... the leaves are turning... it is getting cooler.... Here, it is... different. Not bad, just different. We don't get much of a 'change of season' in Florida. There are no pretty leaves or cool weather. Here, we are watching for the last hurricane/tropical storms of the season and enjoying the nice days in between. So, finding something that said Autumn seemed like a lost cause unless I wanted to dig thru old pictures of when we were traveling. I thought about not doing this challenge at all until.....

Coming home from the place where I board my horse I looked off to the side of the road, and realized that there is something here that says Autumn to the locals.

Last Autumn, our first since moving here, I kept seeing the strangest things in the fields. The farmers were making long 'humps' and covering them with black plastic and running lots of sprinklers on them. And there were lots and lots and lots of these fields all covered in 'humps' and black plastic. At first I couldn't figure out what they were, until finally I had a Duh! moment.

I live near the "Strawberry Capital" of the world and all of those fields were full of... strawberry plants! Come Spring they even have a huge "Strawberry Festival" here that attracts quite the crowds.

So, here is my picture of Autumn:

Preview

Click here if you would like to join us and play the Photo Scavenger Hunt!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh that came out So cool!

Anonymous said...

strawberries growing in the fall - wow; that's neat. Our growing season (Montana) is over with; our strawberries have long come and gone. Neat picture.

betty

Anonymous said...

Wow!  We have a "Strawberry Capital" here in California, too.  And yes, they are planting them now . . .never thought of that as Autumn.

Anonymous said...

Oh how pretty. Hey, it's a lot more attractive than vast amounts of cornfields. Trust me. I wish I had strawberry fields.

Ari

Anonymous said...

The leaves here in Kansas City are just now starting to change...a bit.  I like the begining of Spring more.  Thank you for all the comments in my demon blog, honey.  I didn't even bother with any of the pogo badges this week....but I'm sure you have them all already!

Russ

Anonymous said...

Wow, how interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  Now I know more about Florida!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Gee aren't we lucky to have humps and black plastic? Glad you are trying to be creative. I've given up.
MAryanne

Anonymous said...

Found this interesting, thanks.
Sylvia
http://journals.co.uk/sylviam4000/JottingsfromtheSticks/

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Never seen a strawberry field before.

Anonymous said...

Rows and rows of strawberry plants!  Yummy!

Anonymous said...

awesome shot!  How interesting!  Love the photo!http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ValsThoughts

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm strawberries...

Anonymous said...

Hey! It's Antonette. I wanted to let you know that I changed my journal title AND my journal link it's now: http://journals.aol.com/ernhrtfanalwys3/JottingsFromJersey/

Anonymous said...

Very cool... Here in Kentucky, the most common thing besides corn are tobacco fields, I would much rather see strawberries than that!  

Anonymous said...

The strawberry festival sounds like fun.  I am sure I would try EVERYTHING and make myself SICK!!!  

It looks like you live in a lovely area!
                                                Cyndy

Anonymous said...

love them festivals, nice pic

angelrose
http://journals.aol.com/angelrose2u/ScavangerHuntJournal/