Wednesday, October 5, 2005

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Critters!

For my first picture posted from my new camera... I give you the Blogfather's Monday photo shoot:  

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Critters!

Early fall seems like a good time to capture these guys in pictures, because they're out and about storing up for the winter:

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Catch a critter in a picture! For the purposes of this photo shoot, a "critter" is a creature that is not a pet, so no dogs or cats, but mice, squirrels, pigeons, badgers, hedgehogs, wolverines, deer, dragons, sasquatch or any other sort of ambulatory thing is acceptable (as are bugs).

I spent last Saturday at one of my favorite places... The Zoo! It was a great opportunity to try out my new camera and play with some of those really cool buttons!! I'm sure that you'll be seeing other pictures from that day in future entries, but for this photo shoot I wanted to choose a truly 'wild' animal.

I was walking along one of the paths at the zoo and out of the corner of my eye caught movement. Thinking it was probably one of the anoles or a frog, I moved closer to take a look and try out a 'close up' with the new camera. What I found was this little guy. After taking a look from a safe distance and determining by his head shape he was not venomous, I moved in to snap several pictures of him from different angles.  While I was taking his picture, several more people came along and commented on him. I believe he is a black racer. They are fairly common here and help in keeping the pests down.

Preview 

If you want to play along with the photo shoot, click here and check out By the Way.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this shot!  It's just beautiful.  Neat critter.  Blessings, Penny

Anonymous said...

Ewww!  Sorry hon', I know I should say "cool!"...but eww.  Not my fav. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Snakes get a bad rap the same way sharks do. Poor little guy! I would kees him and hug him and luv him... but I'll refrain. Hehe

Ari

Anonymous said...

Cool; took me a few minutes to find him, but good picture!

betty

Anonymous said...

I get freaked out by snakes...even though I know they do good things for farmers like my pa.  It's not quite a phobia -- but it's close.

Russ

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love how alert he looks....so intelligent...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.  I wonder if he has a wife.  I could hook him up with one of those ugly Raider fans.  IT WAS A JOKE!  I KID RAIDER NATION!

Anonymous said...

Nice pic!  Glad you are enjoying your new baby...more photos please...

Anonymous said...

How cool!

Anonymous said...

Great picture!

Anonymous said...

Awesome picture!