Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Timon at the Zoo

Because of our little surprise last week, the entry I had been working on got pushed back. Good News is since I already had it prepared in my test journal all I had to do to make this entry was add this little blurb and copy it over here. <g>

A couple of months ago the zoo got a colony of meerkats. Upon arrival it became apparent that two of the females were pregnant. Very good news! Into quarantine they went, and soon the colony was moved into there brand new exhibit.

Not long after being moved over to the exhibit it was noticed that both females were looking quite svelte. Hmmmmmm....... We were told that the babies were down in the burrows and that we probably wouldn't get a baby sighting for a few weeks.

A week ago Geoff called me at work and said that a baby had been spotted (note: this would now be -2- weeks ago now <g>). As soon as I could get out of work, I grabbed my trusty camera and sped over to the zoo to set myself down and practice some patience and hope that I would be lucky enough to get a glimpse of a baby meerkat.
Preview
I now have a lot of pictures of adult meerkats both from the week they were put into their exhibit originally, and from this little expedition. This picture is a favorite. I just love how the three of them lined up. But I wanted a baby picture... Darn It!

The little guys (and gals) spent quite a bit of time chasing each other around and basically being playful, active meerkats... but no babies...

Finally, as I was about to give up, every meerkat in the exhibit disappeared down into what appears to be the main burrow entrance. Hmmmmmmm...... after a few minutes one little meerkat came out and took up a post to the right of the burrow. A few seconds later he was joined by a second meerkat to the left and a little in front. Before long two more meerkats came out and with eyes to the sky took their posts. Moving slowly I positioned myself for what I had figured out was coming. Soon five little noses showed in the entrance of the burrow. They came out cautiously.  Whoo Hoo! Iwas going to get my pictures.

Preview

They eventually played for several minutes just outside of the burrow entrance. Spreading out they spent their time exploring, digging and sniffing, but never venturing very far from the safety of the door to their house. I got several pictures before a cleaning person slammed the door to the building that is the back wall to their exhibit. At the sharp noise all of the meerkats disappeared in the blink of an eye, the adults making the peculiar 'warning' noise that they make. Although eventually some of the adults did return to the surface, none of the babies joined them.

I plan to try to get more pictures as they grow and become more adventurous... and Geoff told me today that they think another of the females may become a Mommy soon!

Preview

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

OM GOSH! They are waaaay to cute!!!! What a great job you have girl friend!!!!

Anonymous said...

They are so cute!!

betty

Anonymous said...

I never heard of a meerkat.  Cute creatures.

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwwwww! Geez I'm so envious.

Anonymous said...

They are too, too adorable!
Meekrats?
Never heard of them, but I simply love this educationI am getting!
So how many Meekrats will the colony hold?
And most importantly, where pray tell is your zoo? You must be within driving distance of me so I wanna know!
Maryanne
http://journals.aol.com/globetrotter2u/Myfeelingsarereal/

Anonymous said...

OMG! I love, love, love Meercats! LOL.. they are so hysterical!!  Excellent pictures... (as usual).. Too cute, they made me smile. (not an easy task to do either).  I will look forward to more pics of them as they grow up.

Anonymous said...

I love them!  I love Meerkats!  The babies are adorable.  I can't wait for more pictures of them.  Blessings, Penny

Anonymous said...

Awwww! I don't think I've ever seen baby meerkats before. They're adorable. Thank you for sharing that.

-CG (http://journals.aol.com/tehfifthfeather/affected)

Anonymous said...

Awwww, little guys! So cute! I miss the zoo, but your journal brings me right back there. Thanks so much for sharing!

Ari

Anonymous said...

The boyfriend says I look like a meerkat when I wake up in the morning.  (I didn't even know he was aware of what they looked like!)  I tend to rise out of bed and stretch my neck out and look around nervously.

xo,
Russ

Anonymous said...

OMG! The babies are just too, too precious!

Anonymous said...

i've been meaning to ask if that pic in "all about me" is a Tigon?  When i helped at Shambala Preserve, Tippi had a Tigon and a Ti-tigon (the only one known to have been born).. unfortunately they both died since then.. but they were beauties!  Roared like a lion and loved the water like a Tiger.

Anonymous said...

Checking out the VIVI and came across yours, Those pictures are somethng else, somethng I myself wouldn't see in a life time.thanks....... * DIANE *

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh, these pictures are so precious!!  I had never even heard of Meerkats!  They are so cute!  And the babies!  They are precious!  It's so cute the way moma and dad (well, I'm assuming they are the parents), are standing guard as they babies slowely make their way out of the hole.

Love the pictures!!  

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Your journal is fantastic. I really love your photos and the way in which you talk about your topic. Congratulations on your nomination and a wonderful journal.

Jo
The Monday-Friday Mews Gatzette keeper!

Anonymous said...

OMG They're SO CUTE!!!!  I want one!  See, that's why I could never work with the zoo.  I would want to take ALL of them home to cuddle.  Except, maybe, the bugs.

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

Awww! Those are great pics especially the two with the babies. I've never seen a meerkat before aside from Lion King's Timon.

Anonymous said...

Wow just passing thru and must say you have great photos here..keep up the good work...FLAVA

Anonymous said...

My daughter again........she is addicted to your blog!! Everyday we come home she asks, "Can we go see the blog?" LOL She has great taste!!!!

I love these pics!!!!!!
Peace
Jodi

Anonymous said...

Those are just the cutest little things.  The neat thing about meerkats is that they stay cute, even when they grow up to be adults.

Anonymous said...

I hope you and the zoo critters have a Happy Halloween!
http://journals.aol.com/ernhrtfanalwys3/JottingsFromJersey/entries/905

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh they are so dang cute!!!
I'm a sucker for babies of course, but well, I'm off to get my daughter, she's going to get a kick out of seeing this little guys~
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

we have a Pumba at our zoo!

Anonymous said...

Oh, they are adorable!!!  And I don't even know what a meerkat is, lol!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

omg they are sooo precious!! I'd never seen meerkats before! Kind of look like a cross between a ferret & a cat..<ferret owner here> great photos! mary anne~

Anonymous said...

You never cease to amaze me!  Thank you for sharing such interesting information.  Meerkats, although I believe they are in the mongoose family, I'm not all that familiar with them.  Do they originate from Africa?  Your patience rewards my eyes with such wonderful photographs.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall