Saturday, October 1, 2005

New "Baby"

I have been drooling over the digital Canon Rebel Cameras for a while. A long while! In fact, when I started drooling, they were 6.1 megapixel. The current version is 8 megapixel.


My current digital camera was a Sony Cyber Shot 2.1 megapixel, and I was was starting to find it not quite accomplishing what I wanted. I wanted something that gave me options to not only crop and still get a decent print picture, but that would also allow for more creative choices. While the Sony was a great intro into digital cameras, it was starting to leave something to be desired. My main frustration was with the dreaded 'picture lag'. This often caused me to get pictures of my subject as it headed away from me rather than the picture I actually wanted! Things that were originally a nuisance had become a major annoyance. I knew that I wanted to move up to something more sophisticated. I had used a film Rebel SLR some years ago, so I was leaning towards wanting the digital version of it as my next camera/toy/obsession. G. was even coming on board with the idea of this possibly (probably <g>) being my Christmas (Anniversary, Valentines Day, Birthday, you name it for the next year or so) present.

Enter the baby elephant.......... Wait, you say, how does a baby elephant come into this??? Well, we were discussing that the little elephant was coming soon, and I was whining (a little cheese with that whine, my dear??) that although the pictures I would take would be great for the Internet and sending to friends, I wouldn't be able to do much more than print up some uncropped 4x6's of the new little one. Luckily, this was whined/mentioned while in the company of some people who had seen some of the pictures I've taken of other animals in the past. They were also a little sad that, although I was going to be getting a better camera, I wouldn't be getting it until after the newest addition had joined us..........

Long story made shorter, G. decided that not only should I go ahead and receive said present a little early, but that I should get it immediately. This way I would have time to learn what all the little buttons are for -before- said addition arrives. (It didn't hurt that there was a special going on that allows me 18 months pay the camera off without any interest being charged!)

Meet my newest BabyPreview

My next dilemma is this: I don't want to add too many pictures here because I know some people still have dial-up, and I already push the envelope of what is annoying for them with the amount of pics and graphics I currently use.... and yet, I'm about to be taking a whole lot more pics in the coming months... What to do? What to do?  My solution is to start a separate Journal where I can put the additional pictures. That way I can say something along the lines of "See this really adorable picture of <insert animal or subject here>. Want to see more? Go here!"  My original title got scratched. I was thinking Photographs & Memories of an Eclectic Mind (kind of staying with the theme <g>), but there is already a journal called Photographs & Memories out there. Now I have to come up with a name for this proposed new Journal. I've got a few ideas rolling around in my head, but I thought I would take it to the creative people here in J-land and see what you come up with. I'm really looking forward to reading your thoughts and notions on this. Meanwhile, I will keep mulling over ideas and names hoping something apt will present itself. 

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

well since i'm betting many of your pics will be from work how about safari with an eclectic mind........cause you know - animals, safari - do i need to draw you a picture??

Anonymous said...

Love your new baby; interested in seeing any and all pictures you take whether in this journal or a new one you start. Make sure to link to your new one if you go that route.

betty

Anonymous said...

I love pictures, but I am totally clueless when it comes to digital cameras!  I bought one, but I can't figure out how to use it! lol   It was working for awhile, and now all of a sudden, it stopped working.  Don't ask.  I don't have a clue.  Guess I'm gonna have to take it back where I got it, and find out what the problem is.

I'm glad you're digital camera literate!  :)

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Why don't you call your new journal Eclectic Memories and and Photographs

Anonymous said...

Love your new baby. I did not even think about those on dial ups. How inconsiderate of me! What about "Eclectic Safari Photography" since most of your pics are of the four legged kind. http://journals.aol.com/dcmeyer420/DearDiary/    

Anonymous said...

Snapshots of an Eclectic Mind? Just a thought. I can't wait for the new journal.

Ari

Anonymous said...

loving the suggestions.. I've been rolling around Walk with the Animals (but I will also have some non animal photos, so I don't know about that one), My World Looking Out, Thru the Viewfinder, Point of View, Looking thru the Lens, Step thru My Lens, From My Perspective, and Portraits and Images.

Anonymous said...

Oh honey -- put the pics anywhere you want.  I still have dial-up and it's gotten alot faster lately.  Enjoy!  And share!   xo, Russ

Anonymous said...

Post those pictures away! I'm on something <thinking, not sure, but it's wireless connection and warp speeds> anyway, we need pictures and maybe I need to read all that again, but are you also getting a baby elephant???? I can understand having a new baby, i.e. camera, but an elephant?
Rebecca
Oh, and congrats, it's beautiful and I'm not just saying that!

Anonymous said...

yea for G!!!! I wanna see pictures!!!!!  lots and lots of pictures!  lol I think a second journal just for pictures is a great idea...Dorn has done it and it is something that I am pondering over doing too....but the only thing that is stopping me is I like that  my journals is a lil bit of everything......me, my photos and my poetry. I like the mix of it.....but you get the chance to photograph so many animals, that you would have enough to fill 2 journals.......maybe call it  'Becoming Mrs. Doolittle'.........Ü

Anonymous said...

I use the 5 megapixel  on mine. When I have a picture I am going to upload I RESIZE it before upl;oading to ftp space. That way it is not too big. Resizing keeps the picture without losing anything. Usually to a 400 pixel size

Anonymous said...

I'm SO jealous!  I want! I want!

I'm using a Nikon CoolPix 800 which was great when I got it but I am SO ready for a high end Nikon or Canon.  

Enjoy your present!

Chris
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/Inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings
http://www.bigoven.com/~swibirun

Anonymous said...

how about something like through the eyes of an ecletic mind.
I am soooo jealous. I just bought my own new rebel this past year.....film, which i do adore but when I saw this Rebel I couldn't help but drool.
Congrats to you.
Laura

Anonymous said...

Yay you ... I'm jelious too!
   *** Coy ***


Anonymous said...

more memorabelia of an eclectic mind............ what a grand camera!!!!! judi

Anonymous said...

I really envy someone who can "work" a camera. This one looks fantastic! Photography is something I really want to explore (and then I'll have to figure out how to get pictures into my journal!)

Tilly
http://journals.aol.co.uk/tillysweetchops/Adventuresofadesperatelyfathouse/

Anonymous said...

Have fun!  Will be getting a 'baby' of my own soon!

Tammy

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting your new camera!  I didn't realize how much I'd depended on the digital camera until ours broke...I'm thinking now that, since we have to get a new one anyway, why get an AWESOME one like yours...you've totally sold me on it!

Anonymous said...

omg not another one with a terrific camera!! @@ you guys are killing me. LOL Have fun and i totally look forward to seeing some beautiful photo's.

big hugs

Lahoma

Anonymous said...

i've been drooling over the same thing.  My friend got the one with the 6.1 for Christmas last year.  Hopefully I will get it by Christmas.

Derek

Anonymous said...

    I'm camera shopping right now .... thought about this entry and came back to it. So ... what do you think? Did you make the right choice? Would you do it again?
The size is the only thing that concerns me .... I'm used to carrying my camera in my purse, everywhere I go. I know this one is the smallest one of it's kind but it's still probably larger than the one I'm used to. T
    There are some really cute, really small ones out there. Granted they have less zoom and no manual adjusting but ... they are small ... and they are cute!
    Going to look at them today, not clear on what kind of flash and zoom actually comes with this Rebel, I do see the optional ones offered but we are talking another $600.00 that's just not in the budget, at least not today.
                                      *** Coy ***