Sunday, November 21, 2004

Weekend Assignment

I've been pondering John Scalzi's Weekend Assignment 35: Thankful, and I finally think that I've come up with mine...

            Books

I have always loved to read... And a book can teach you, make you think, entertain you. They can relieve boredom. They can make you laugh, cry, and everything in between.

I particularly love fiction books. Science Fiction, Fantasy, Historical Romances, it doesn't matter. As long as the writer does his job and sweeps me into another world, and makes me care enough about his characters that they become "real" people to me, I'm happy. Maybe it's escapism, but when I was a child books allowed me to leave my little world and explore a much larger one. Admittedly, some of these worlds didn't exist.... to other people. To me, they were often as real as my own, and often better.

I have flown dragons on Pern. I've met Merlin, King Arthur and The Lady of the Lake. John Carter and I explored Mars. Not the mars that you know from pictures from that silly rover, No, our Mars was filled with warriors and Princesses! I rode the Black Stallion on a long stretch of beach with the wind and surf blowing in my face. And, I cried when the "fairy" Podkayne was trying to protect died. I was there when Michael learned to "grok". And I know that two of the most important things in the Universe are a towel and Don't Panic.

So, yes, I'm thankful for books!!

                                         Picture from Hometown

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, am thankful for books.
 I love your description of the effect books have had on your imagination.  Very beautifully done.

Anonymous said...

Ahh - Don't Panic!  Did you see that it's coming to theaters in spring '05!!  I can't wait to see this one.  -Kelly  

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful for books also.  I don't know what I would do if I couldn't read...

Anonymous said...

Amen to THAT! You can be any one, go anywhere, and do anything with the aid of a book!

Anonymous said...

My family used to call me a book worm.  I'm still not sure if that was good or not.  My kids have inherited my love for reading, which makes gift giving a breeze... I just buy them books!

Anonymous said...

I love books as well! They can teach you, entertain you, make you think, inspire you...what a wonderful thing....

Anonymous said...

Happy, Happy, Happy Thanksgiving!
Dorn

Anonymous said...

Books are a good thing to be thankful for.  I love to read, myself.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Books are a wonderful thing to be thankful for.....you can get so lost in the stories.....Happy (belated) Thanksgiving to you!
~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

I'm with you!  Books are way up there on my list too!  Most definitely. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love your book selections....I wish we had little flying dragons...so cute...Sandi http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/IJustHadToLaugh

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love books too!!  I used to love winning the spelling bee in elementary school because the prize was always to "pick out as many books as you wanted" from the table that was situated at the front of the room.  I love mysteries and thrillers, and some science fiction.  Used to like the romance novels, but they got to the point where they wre all the same.  Reading them became a yawn fest! lol

Jackie

Anonymous said...

My love of books started at the public library when I was a child.  Our children's librarian was a neighbor and we would often go just to visit with her.  I have long forgotten the title and author of the book that first caught me up in reading, but it was a story about a girl and bubbles and a bit of a mystery.  I wonder if I were to find it now, would I love it as well?  

Anonymous said...

Really good entry on books! thanks for the link lol..i'm not to good at doing archives yet.. having trouble keeping up with a dozen or more journals, commenting, and writing my own lol.. but yeah i love reading fantasy and "watching" sci-fi.  I'm even hooked on the harry potter books AND the movies! lol..I've got to be the OLDEST kid in the theater when i go.. sigh.. oh well in my mind i'm not as old as i look! hahaha..   I even wrote my own fantasy/fiction.. but i didn't set out to.. that must sound ridiculous, but it just "happened".  If you have a chance check out these two links.. one is my "book cover" and 6 chapters to book 1.  and the other link is computer art i tried drawing some of my characters..

http://www.geocities.com/deslily/kesterwoodcover.html

http://www.geocities.com/kesterwoodgirl/kesterwoodart.html