Friday, November 12, 2004

What Was I Thinking???

           Preview

What was I thinking????? We are going to be a little tight on money this year because of the whole I can't seem to find a real job thing, so I decided that I would try to make some things for X-mas instead of buying gifts for everyone.

First step was to look at my list. My very first thought was afghans, but that got shot down for a couple of reasons. 1) I haven't got enough time before x-mas. 2) They can be expensive according to what yarn you use, etc. I have one that I finished earlier this fall that I think I am going to give my brother and his wife. It is beautiful...looking around for a picture. Aha! I'm actually getting this whole graphics thing figured out! (Thank Goodness for Test Journals though <LOL>) As you can see in the first picture, it's good sized, and it's heavy <LOL>. I added a close up so you could see the pretty colors/pattern. It was done holding 3 strands of yarn and changing the colors out one at a time. WHAT a PAIN! It's also is really soft. The yarn in this thing cost me about $80 or so. I have some left over though, so I'm thinking maybe scarves for a couple of people.

Preview     Preview

Having thrown out the idea of making like 15 afgans before x-mas, I decided to get serious. Afgan for brother & his wife... that's one. Fudge!!! Yeah, I have people asking me in August if I'm making fudge for x-mas, and I haven't been home for 5 years to make it!!! So, that takes care of one of my best friends, her husband, all of my boyfriends work friends, most everyone coming into winter quarters. Course, I'll be making like 30 pounds of this stuff, but that's o.k.

What about my brothers kids???? Now, this is where the What Was I Thinking thing comes in. Seems the kids like the Hemp jewelry (info via their father). So.... I used to run a jewelry Mnfg Co. and help make the jewelry, how hard could tying some knots in some string be??  I'll get a book, some beads, Hemp.... I'll make them necklaces, throw in a scarf and voila!

Well, let me tell you, it ain't as easy as it looks! <LOL> I have a package of regular colored hemp and one of those big bags of "assorted" bead to practice with. I bought two books on how to do it and I -thought- I was ready to go! Turns out that this isn't as easy as it looks <LOL>. But, I'll keep plugging away at it. I bought some of the colored hemp for the actual present necklaces, and once I decide (and practice) the pieces I'm going to make for them I'll go out and pick out nice beads to match each piece. Wish me luck! I think I'm going to need it.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh I think those are really neat ideas! We make alot of the odds and end gifts also.Family of 4 plus a dog. and only one of us working. GOTTA! Ill put in my journal today what we are making..
Lil

Anonymous said...

You go girl only 42 crafting days to go!!!!!!!! LOL, scarfs are an excellent idea and I'll have to hop on the band wagon for that one! Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

I have NO clue about what to do for Christmas ... I'm thinking gift certificates, as I have NO creative ability whatsoever!! LOL

Kasey

http://journals.aol.com/ikoiko33/TheReturnofKaseypalooza

Anonymous said...

Such a special Christmas this will be! My favorite gifts are those made by the hands of those I love. And in turn, I try to make something special for my loved ones too. Good Luck!
:) Loretta
Life with Lupus
Finding a Voice
Loretta's Studio

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm.... I almost always do my Journal entries on my laptop because it's where my pics/favorites/etc all are. This morning I'm sitting in the front room on the old laptop (G's new toy <g>) and I pulled up my Journal to check something and HEY! this entry looks way different on this 'puter. I have a 17 1/2" screen and I use a higher resolution, so all of the pictures line up really nice... sigh.. Oh Well, my muffin is still cute no matter what the resolution!! <LOL>

Anonymous said...

I think it's fantastic that you're creating your holiday gifts rather than buying them.  I think that those that create them do so from the heart, and during the process you can't help but think of that person.  This is why they call it a "thoughtful" gift (because the gift is full of thoughts of THEM!)  :D

Also, you may want to consider crocheting the jewelry with the hemp.  Just wet the hemp first, crochet while still wet, and allow to dry.  Be sure to use a steel hook!  If you're using beads, string them on first before starting your crochet.

Post pictures when you're done!
~Dee
journals.aol.com/crochetwithdee/CrochetWithDee

Anonymous said...

Just sliding in here after reading your comment - WOW!  The afghan is beautiful!!!  Can't imagine what it must've been like to use 3 strands!  I hope to graduate to that level someday.  Thanks for sharing!  Sheila